From mid-September to mid-October every year, communities celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month to recognize the contributions that Mexican, Latin and South American cultures contribute to the tapestry of music, food, literature and history of our country. The Del Mar College Chapter of the Texas Association of Chicanos in Higher Education (TACHE) and the College will kick off DMC’s month-long observations with “Fiesta Del Mar” on Sunday, Sept. 16.
“Del Mar College has always observed Hispanic cultures that enrich our campuses and the Coastal Bend community with several activities during Hispanic Heritage Month,” says Dr. Carla Gamez-Vela, festival organizer and a member of TACHE. “This year, however, we’re kicking off our annual month-long observances with a fun-filled festival featuring family activities that celebrate the different Hispanic cultures in our area, so we hope many community members will join us.”
Fiesta Del Mar runs from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Creighton Plaza and the grounds between William F. White, Jr. Library, the Heldenfels Administration Building and the English Building on the East Campus, located at Baldwin and Ayers. Many activities are free of charge including a Zumba Fitness session at 9:30 a.m., along with breakfast pastries and pan dulce.
Participants also can expect a full day of entertainment for the entire family, including live music, dance performances, delicious Latin and Caribbean cuisine, sweets, arts and crafts, gifts, face painting, books, jewelry, loteria, piñatas for the kids, games, Latin dance lessons, Brazilian Capoeira and much more. There’s even a “grito” contest with a $50 cash prize.
To learn more about this event, go to the Fiesta Del Mar web page at www.fiestadelmar.info, the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/FiestaDelMarCollege or contact Dr. Gamez-Vela at 361-698-1373 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Among several other Hispanic Heritage Month activities planned at Del Mar College between Sept. 15 and Oct. 22 are:
• Saturday, Sept. 15 – Monday, Oct. 15: Dia de los Muertos display in the first floor lobby of the White Library, East Campus, call 698-1931.
• Tuesday, Sept. 18: “La Misma Luna” or “Under the Same Moon” film screening sponsored by the Title V Program in Room 119 at the Student Success Center in the St. Clair Building, East Campus, call 698-2466.
• Wednesday, Sept. 19: Discussion of Dagoberto Gilb’s book “The Magic of Blood” sponsored by the DMC Viking Book Club at 2 p.m. in Room 238 of the Coles Classroom Building, East Campus, call 698-1450.
• Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 26-27: Latin Dance Demonstration by the DMC Social Dance class from 12:30 to 1 p.m. in the first floor lobby of the Harvin Student Center, East Campus, call 698-1338.
• Saturday, Sept. 29: Festival de Baile Latino Familiar (Family Latin Dance Festival) sponsored by the Kinesiology Department from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the DMC Gymnasium, East Campus, call 698-1373.
• Monday, Oct. 22: Lecture titled “Santos’ Syncretism” by Cuban-American artist Cesar Santos sponsored by the Cultural Programs Committee and the Department of Art and Drama at 1 p.m. in Room 326 in the Coles Classroom Building, East Campus, call 698-1503.
Information about other planned activities will be available on Del Mar College’s website at www.delmar.edu as details are confirmed.