• Registration for Student Veterans

    Once you’ve completed the admissions process, you can register.  The Registrar’s Office assists you with registration, graduation, as well as requests for transcripts and other student-related records at Del Mar College.  The Veterans Service Office can assist with these actions on a case by case basis.

    Registration Process 

    • If you have a complete admissions file, you may register on the Web or through your advisor on campus.
    • See Web site for details about dates, times and procedures for registration.  A copy of your course schedule must be provided to the Veterans Service Office.
    • If you have less than 24 hours of credit, you must see an advisor before registering for classes.
    • Tuition and fee charges must be paid at the time of registration, which is not complete until all payments have been made.  The Veterans Service Office will work closely with the Business Office and Cashier to ensure that prospective payments from your VA benefits are anticipated.  Certain Chapters will require advance payment of tuition and fees as indicated below: 

    Chapter 30 – Student payment by payment deadline is required.
    Chapter 31 - Veterans Service Office will notify Cashier that VA payment is anticipated.
    Chapter 33 - Veterans Service Office will notify Cashier that VA payment is anticipated.
    Chapter 35 – Student payment by payment deadline is required.
    Chapter 1606 – Student payment by payment deadline is required.
    Chapter 1607 – Student payment by payment deadline is required.
    Hazlewood – Veterans Service office will notify Cashier that tuition exemption is authorized. 


    Each semester that you have registered for classes you must come to the Veterans Services Office to request certification of your enrollment.  Be sure to bring a copy of your course schedule.  The request for certification form or Hazelwood application will be completed and submitted at this time. 

    Changes in Registration 

    Any time your course schedule changes you must immediately notify the Veterans Service office.  Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 21.4203 requires that all changes in enrollment credit must be reported in a timely manner.  Reducing the number of semester hours you are attempting within a given semester may cause a decrease in your VA benefit amount and could generate an overpayment from the VA.  If overpayment occurs, you will become indebted to the VA and your future benefit payments could be reduced by the amount of the overpayment.

    Six Drop Limit 

    If you are a first-time student who entered college in Fall 2007 or after, you cannot drop more than six courses, including any course you have dropped at another college in Texas, according to Senate Bill 1231. There are exceptions to this policy if you can show good cause for dropping a course(s). For further information, contact the Registrar’s Office.

    Implications for Financial Aid 

    You should be aware that dropping courses may affect your eligibility for financial aid. You should contact Financial Aid Services prior to dropping a course or completely withdrawing from school. If you stop attending class without officially withdrawing from the College, then the grade is an automatic “F.” Students receiving Veterans Benefits for education should contact Veterans Services for specific policies concerning drops and withdrawals. These changes may have a direct effect on your VA benefits.

    Standards of Progress for Veterans


    If you are receiving veteran’s educational benefits, you must make satisfactory academic progress by maintaining a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) each enrollment period.


    The first term you fall below a 2.0 grade point average will result in your being placed on probation. If you fail to meet the minimum standard the next semester, you will be placed on suspension. Failure to achieve the required GPA will cause the benefits to be terminated until the GPA is satisfactory.  If you are enrolled in a one-semester certificate program and do not maintain a 2.0 GPA or better, you will be reported to the Veterans Administration for unsatisfactory progress. You will have only one more opportunity to retake the program and be eligible to receive VA benefits.


    To regain eligibility, you must register for at least six semester hours in the fall or spring semesters or three hours in the summer at your own expense and earn at least a 2.0 grade point average.


    If you have mitigating circumstances that caused you not to make satisfactory progress, you may appeal to the Veterans Administration. The form may be obtained from the Del Mar College Veterans Administration Certifying Official at Veterans Services, or you may do so online at www.gibill.va.gov 


    Proof of Texas Residency 

    In accordance with state law, if you plan to register as a Texas resident, you must prove that you are legally entitled to pay in-state tuition. Documentation proving state residency must be presented at the time of application or readmission. If you have had a break of a year or more in education, you must again show proof of Texas residency upon reapplying for admission. For a list of acceptable documentation to prove residency, contact the Veterans Services Office.

    Non-Texas Resident 

    If you originally came to Texas from another state for the purpose of attending an educational institution, you are presumed to be nonresident unless you have legally established residency under the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Rules: Chapter 21.  If you have not proven your Texas residency at the time of preregistration and/or registration, you will be considered out-of-state and billed accordingly. You must correct residency problems within the first week of the term to receive any type of refund.

    Important note:  Chapter 33 (Post 911 G.I.Bill does not pay out of state/non-resident tuition.  You will be responsible for the portion of your tuition and fees that is above and beyond the in-state resident tuition and fees.  Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, Del Mar College will participate in the Yellow Ribbon program.  Del Mar College will contribute $522.00 per eligible student per year and the VA will match that amount under Yellow Ribbon).

    Establishing Residency of Military/Military Dependents 

    In order to qualify for in-state and in-district tuition, if you are a military service member or military dependent, you must submit a letter from the commanding officer or from the individual assigned to handle such duty, verifying Texas as the state of duty station. This verification must be submitted once per year to Del Mar College on or before registration. Forms are available from the Veteran Service office, the Student Enrollment Center and the Registrar’s Office.